Every summer, for the past 7 or 8, I spend up to 2 weeks on the shore of Lake Superior. It is my self-created artist residency. Even on my more "vacationy" years, I do work there that is slow to get done when home in the Twin Cities. This year there was significantly less vacationing done. What did I do?
1. Compiled the text from the surveys and edited into final script for the embroidery.
2. recorded the indigo tests on poly thread vs. rayon thread
3. tested various kinds of twill tape and bias tape
4. finally figured out how to line things up correctly every time...I hope
5. completed the layouts for all the dress collars
6. completed the layout for one full jacket
7. re-designed the collars again
8. made a movie
9. watched lots of movies, finished 4 books.
10. drank wine
11. ran out of thread
12. panicked just a little and drank wine.
13. embroidered with sewing thread
14. stitched things down to see how they looked
15. ordered more materials of various sorts.
16. went to Hovland, Finland, Grand Marais, Grand Portage and Silver Bay. Bought pins in Grand Marais, thread in a True Value hardware store in Silver Bay.
17. came home to heat warnings
18. Today, I will put the studio back together after getting caught up on bill paying.
WEARING MY AGE
I have received a grant from the Jerome Foundation to work on a project that I have called "Wearing My Age."